S#!t Just Got Real
We're facing our first real conundrum when it comes to this whole "no spending" thing. You see, my work life is about to get CRAZY. Like, C-R-A-Z-Y. I have three absolutely huge projects starting this week and extending through the end of April, in addition to my regular clients. To make things even more interesting, my Mother's Helper is about to have hip replacement surgery and will be out of commission for a while. In trying to figure out how to make everything work, I called my mom and asked if she would be interested in flying here in March and being our live-in "Granny" (Grandma + Nanny) for a couple of months. It took her a few days to check her schedule and make a decision, which makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, the decision came yesterday. You know, in February. The month where we're not buying anything.
Like, say, for example, plane tickets.
This leaves us in a bit of a predicament, and we're not sure what to do. Under normal circumstances, I would buy the tickets now in order to get the best price. Leaving it until later possibly means the cost will go up considerably. I would only be able to buy them about a week before she flew if I waited until the spending fast is over. So, it makes sense to buy them now. BUT, we're not supposed to be buying anything this month. One of the reasons for not buying anything is to save money, though, so it's kind of silly to end up paying more for tickets. On the other hand, part of this is also supposed to be about seeing what it's like to go without, gt creative, etc.
I've definitely tried to get creative:
1. Have Mom buy the tickets now and reimburse her next month
2. Consider it a purchase by my business and not the family
3. Wait and buy them at the higher price because that's what people do when they don't have the money to spend in advance
4. Buy the tickets now because, duh.
Option one would technically be ok under the rules, but it sort of goes against the spirit of the challenge. Option two isn't quite as technically sound but is reasonable because it truly is the business that would be flying her here. (I suppose I could combine one and two...) Option three doesn't seem like the smartest, but it does seem the most in-line with the challenge. But day-am...it could end up being a few hundred dollars difference, which might be worth making an exception, which is why there is an option four. It would be so much easier to know what to do if plane tickets didn't constantly change prices and I could just compare what it is now to what it would be then.
Rob and I are not quite agreed on which option to take, so I'm hoping to think about it a bit more.
I'd be happy to hear any feedback you folks might have.